It’s important to look after yourself to stay well, especially at the moment. Here’s why food and sleep are vital to staying well and healthy.
- Sleep helps our bodies repair. A good night sleep is our body’s chance to repair, develop and restore. Without sufficient sleep it’s hard for our body to repair properly.
- Sleep deprivation is bad for mental health. Sleep helps us restore mentally as well as physically. Good sleep has been proven to support lower anxiety and depression levels.
- We recover better when getting good sleep. It can be hard to get a good night sleep when feeling unwell but this sleep allows our body to fight back and recover much faster.
- Good sleep can lower our chances of getting sick as it can support developing a strong immune system
- Eating well helps us maintain good weight and lower health risks such as diabetes
- There is research to show that a healthy diet can support lowered risk of later in life illnesses such as Alzheimer’s, stroke and other dementias.
- Good nutrition provides us with the vitamins and minerals we need to boost our immune system, strengthening our defence against illness and ability to recover.
How to get a good night sleep?
- Reduce blue light. Blue light as seen in most devices such as phones, tablets and TVs reduces the production of melatonin, also known as the sleep hormone.
- Get into a routine. Going to bed at the same time and getting up at the same time each day can help you sleep better.
- Keep the bedroom for sleep. Working in the bedroom or watching TV can make it harder to get to sleep come bedtime. Your brain associates the bedroom with sleep when you restrict the room to sleeping only.
How to eat well?
- Eating well isn’t about restrictions, it’s about balance. A healthy diet is a balanced diet containing small amounts of everything your body requires
- Reducing sugar and fat can help gain a healthy diet, but remember it’s about balance. We need some sugars and fat to survive.
- Cook from scratch. When making your own food you’re able to use less chemicals, preservatives and sugars than buying pre bought.
- Use fresh ingredients where possible. It’s hard right now to use fresh ingredients when restricting the shopping trips. You may not be using salad so much as it doesn’t last fresh very long. Switch to root vegetables and alternatives that still allow you to cook fresh and have long lasting foods.
- Find alternatives. There are a lot of healthier alternatives. Love a curry? Who needs all that sugar, oil and cream, switch to a home cooked simple curry recipe for a healthier, delicious meal. Love bananas on pancakes? Switch to banana pancakes, losing all the flour and milk for a simple banana and egg recipe that is just as delicious!
What are your best sleep and healthy eating tips?
For more stay healthy tips see our other blog posts.